Wednesday, January 30, 2013

TO MY FAITHFUL READER


Stephen King calls his fans ‘Constant Readers’.
I call mine ‘Faithful Readers’.
Oh, I’m not copying the King, far from that; I just use that nick to identify those people who really care about my writing, not just my good-looking (?) face on a picture or my lame jokes.
These people love the way I write, and have faith in me, buying all the stories I put out knowing I will not betray them, that everything I do is done with passion, not marketing.

After more than one year in this new, wonderful venture, I feel the need to say thank you to all my Faithful Readers. When I started this gig, I didn’t expect so much success, no, really.
It is unbelievable the amount of love and feedback I received and I still can’t believe it.
I want to thank some of them I had the opportunity to interact with on various social networks.

I’ll start with Mallory Anne-Marie Forbes.
She was my first reader. I still remember her post on Facebook stating she had just bought a copy of ‘Feeding the Urge’. It chilled and thrilled my blood at the same time. Here it was a complete stranger, reading my stuff, who could send me back to Oblivion just with one word (Meh!) or fly me to the Empyrean with another (Nice!) And she wrote a review. My first one.
Five stars!
I kept pacing back n’ forth in my tiny hut down here in Thailand, unable to take off my eyes from the pc’s screen. I called my wife to show her I wasn’t dreaming. It was for real.
Mallory became my first Faithful Reader.

Then others came, mostly other writers, and I thank all of them, because without their support I won’t be here, turning a successful short tale into a 40.000+ words novel. But I thanked them already before Christmas. This time it’s all for readers.

The second one is Jennifer Thomas.
This Georgian gal loves so much my Axel J. Hyde’s character she’s gonna kill me should I pull off one of his hair. She told me she read my novel four times, and even read it to her dad while he was at the hospital. Now, that’s great, folks! I will never thank enough Jennifer for supporting my writing so much. Jennifer is an acute reader and loves to immerge herself in the stories we, authors and storytellers (I’m more of the last and less of the first, as you know), create. She cries and laughs with our characters. She feels their angst and their successes. I call her, an ‘empathic reader’.

The third is Lori Wolfe Safranek.
She can be a pain in the ass, for this strong woman can lift you to heaven with a smile or knock you down to hell when she’s pissed. But she’s honest. You take her by her face value. Doesn’t she like what you wrote? She will tell you, even in a harsh way. And I need that to keep my feet on the ground.

The fourth is Vix Kirkpatrick.
This Faithful Reader has a typical Brit wit. She is also one of the most professional reviewers I met and can analyze your writing to the last comma. She’s honest and doesn’t like putting up fake reviews. She pointed to me what she didn’t like about one of my books. And she was right.
I want to get all my books reviewed from this woman.

The fifth is Lorraine Arndell.
I met her just recently. In truth, we had been friend by a long time, but she had never read anything from me. She started with my erotica, but soon moved to my horror. Well, this French lady reads with a passion, chugging down books like I swallow coke in this darn-always-hot place. Yet, she also savors them, and can tell you all the nuances she felt from a chapter to the other.

I know there are many more out there. Some I never spoke to, some are authors themselves. And I’m surely neglecting one or two, but you must forgive this old man, for he has good memory for the farthest events, and a bad one for the closest ones.

I think my next book (Dead Men Tell No Tales – Warped Edition) I will dedicate it to you:
My Faithful Reader.


2 comments:

  1. Nice posting. Happy writing and many more years of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am humbled, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete