Saturday, January 12, 2013

In February 2012, I was working on a new story based on ‘Black Schooner’ (now released free as Black Brig), when a small publisher offered me the opportunity to be part of an anthology. The deadline was very short and it required a zombie tale set in an alternate universe. So, working hard for three weeks, I turned ‘Curse of the Black Schooner’ into ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales’. It never made into the anthology, but I self-published at Amazon, offering it as a freebie in two instances. Well, this small jewel has been my most successful story of ever, with more than 2.000 downloads and it even became known as the ‘most pirated pirate tale of the web’. I had to send so many letters for copyright infringement I could fill a book. Amazon threatened to suspend distribution more than once, as their staff found my story was available free on more than one ‘sharing’ site.
Honestly, I felt honored. Even today, I find Dead Men standing alongside books from Barker, King, Ketchum, and other big ones inside torrent bundles.
Yet, I was never satisfied with the result.
Because of word limits, I had to cut so many scenes and descriptions that every time I read it I feel a sense of emptiness.
So, you know what? I’m going to rewrite it.
Yes, I’ll put all my experience to expand this baby and offer it to you as the story it was meant to be. Captain Drake was intended as a flamboyant, Errol Flynn-like pirate, but due to space restrictions, he came out as a dour and depressed individual.
And what about the Black Gull (a tavern in Port Royal), the sword duels, the Risen horde, and other horrors?
You’ll read about them in ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales – Expanded Edition’.



No comments:

Post a Comment