Sunday, October 14, 2012

When The Book Cover Tells Me The Story - by Armand Rosamilia


I've been at this writing game for a few years, and I'm getting old… I feel old, even at 42. I'm set in my ways, and like to do things a certain way now in my life. I have the same basic routine each day for spending my day: Dunkin Donuts at 8 am for an hour while I sip coffee and check my e-mails, then on to the local library for the next four or five hours so I have a quiet corner to write. I love it.
            I also have a structure when it comes to how I write, and where the ideas are going and even where they come from, for the most part. Of course, there are always exceptions, but these are few and far between. Usually.
            When I started germinating the idea for Keyport Cthulhu, I knew I wanted it to be a five part story arc, but have five different short stories that could be read on their own or as a continuing series. I knew I wanted to write five stories that were a bit odd with a specific mood and feel to them, and try to capture a little part of the magic of HP Lovecraft that I grew up reading. I set it in a real-life creepy town I lived in briefly in the 1990's and it was only a few miles away from where I grew up. Even as a kid I remember how old and odd Keyport looked, a little fishing village that time seemed to have forgotten about.

I knew the basic story behind the first one and that was pretty much it. I decided to name them in order, as well, by alphabet, so I had five names picked out: "Ancient", "Barren", "Cabal", "Dagon", and "Evil". I was about halfway through the first story when I began talks with artist/author Jeffrey Kosh about doing the cover art. I wanted the same artist to do all five and have a certain feel and the same lettering, so it would be easy to spot them as a series.
            I figured I would give Jeffrey a few ideas, he would put together some covers by the time I was done with the stories, and then we'd be done. Simple enough.
            Only, I was still halfway done with the story when he hit me with the "Ancient" cover. And I was blown away. I was so blown away that I magnified the artwork, expecting to find some weird symbols or hidden meaning behind it. I guess I did, because I consciously modified the story in spots as I kept writing. You see, Jeffrey is also a great fan of Lovecraft, and all I had to do was give him a quick idea and he came back at me immediately with a cover.


The same thing happened with "Barren." I hadn't even begun the story but I knew the very thin plot to it. Guess what? I had the cover before the story. I'd never, ever written like that before, based on artwork or having it ready before I'd written a word.
            I remember finishing "Barren" just so I could see what he'd come up with next."



 Cabal" is currently being written, and I gave him a simple line about the story off the top of my head. When he sent me the cover art quickly, I looked at it and had my story.
 

COMING SOON

The same for "Dagon" and "Evil", which I have yet to write (I swear, it is coming before the end of this year), but already know the story thanks to giving Jeffrey a single line about the plot and then seemingly watching him create the story and more in his artwork, like… well, like Pickman.
            If the way these stories came about isn't Lovecraftian for you, I don't know what is. Now, if I turn up missing once the fifth and final story is completed, and Jeffrey Kosh ends up in a Massachusetts insane asylum, babbling about bleeding colors and fish-men, you'll know why.



*   *   *   *   *

All five of us - Tonia Brown, James N Cook, John O' Brien, Armand Rosamilia and Mark Tufo - hope you have been following along on the Haunted Halloween Blog Tour 2012. We love to see comments after the posts, and we also love to pick a random commenter and give away a free eBook or even a signed print book, so maybe you'll get lucky!
We have centralized all the upcoming dates and blog posts on a Facebook event page. Feel free to join us there and see what is coming up next!


ARMAND ROSAMILIA

Armand Rosamilia is a New Jersey boy currently living in sunny Florida, where he writes when he's not watching zombie movies, the Boston Red Sox and listening to Heavy Metal music...
"Highway To Hell" and "Dying Days" extreme zombie novellas are part of the growing Extreme Undead series of books/stories created by Armand...
He is also an editor for Rymfire Books, helping with several horror anthologies, including "Vermin" and the "State of Horror" series, as well as the creator and energy behind Carnifex Metal Books, putting out the "Metal Queens Monthly" series of non-fiction books about females into Metal...
You can find him at http://armandrosamilia.com
and e-mail him to talk about zombies, baseball and Metal: armandrosamilia@gmail.com








1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful review of Jeffrey's work. He has created some of the best cover artwork I have ever seen. I have promised myself that I will use Jeffrey's expertise when I am ready to publish my books.

    ReplyDelete