Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 8 of The Next Big Thing: My Work in Progress.


First, thank you Valerie Douglas for inviting me to answer this prompt.
Valerie is one of the founding members of APG and a great Fantasy writer.
Check out some of her masterworks, but be warned, they are longer works and once you start, can't put them down.
WEBSITE

Here are my answers to the questions:

What is the working title of your book?
BLOODY CROSS.
Yet, it may change by the final draft.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I always dreamed of writing the original idea behind 'Dead Men Tell No Tales'. No zombies, set in 1720s (the real Golden Age of Piracy) and with a plot based on 'Paradise Lost' by Milton.
My original 'Dead Men' was titled 'Curse of the Black Schooner' and had no undead, just madness, in it. Also, it was intended as a longer work, not a short story.

What genre does your book fall under?
Difficult to pin down. There are swashbuckling elements, horrors from the Inquisition, some fantasy topics, and much literary fiction.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Main Character: Antonio Banderas.
Main Antagonist: Ian MacShane.
Secondary Antagonist: Michael Mando
Co-Protagonist: Penelope Cruz.
There are many more...

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
God - Lucifer - Man.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This will be definitely submitted to some small presses.
I promised a publishing house to submit my next, unpublished work to them. Should they not accept it, I’ll submit to the next one on my list. And so on.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Don't know yet. At the moment, it is in preproduction status. I'm doing research, creating character's background, and outfitting the ship before setting sails to the Undiscovered Country.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Can't tell. Each story is unique to me. This will start a new 'piratical' series, replacing the 'Dead Men Tell No Tales' story line. I'm sorry, but can't cope with the dreariness of that short. I'm happy people liked it, but I wanted something different.
I'm taking risks here, I know, but I'm also sure my readers will love Captain Alec more than Captain Drake.
He is like ‘Puss-in-Boots’ in human form.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Meeting Michael Mando, a rising star in the movie industry. His acting of a heinous character, in a movie I was glad of being part with, inspired the figure of Caliban in my story.
This guy is incredible and you will hear a lot from him soon.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Well, there will be a lot of adventure, dashing escapes, cruelty, real-life-of-the-times injustices and charm, and some thoughts-stimulating stuff.
This will be a 'real life' Pirates of the Caribbean.

Thanks for the opportunity. I'd like to pass this to some other author at Alexandria Publishing Group, but I'm afraid they all answered this prompt already.

No comments:

Post a Comment