Monday, July 30, 2012

PIRACY IS MY DESTINY ...

Life can be so funny and ironic.
There is a weird connection between me and pirates, it seems.

When I was nineteen year old a self-appointed psychic pressed for showing me his palmistry skills - reading my hand lines. He told me I had been a pirate in my previous life and I died drowning...
I was never charmed by piratical stories - nor by psychics - and didn't pay too much attention to this guy. He did this for free; I was buying some seeds in a general store, he spotted me and started blathering about this piracy thing...



Years later, I found myself being a member of GAMA - an association of professional Game Masters for Role-playing games. Guess what? My most successful stories where those with pirates in it. People flocked my table to play a stupid story about pirates and time traveling agents...



As a professional writer I wrote different horror stories, but my best seller is still 'Dead Men Tell No Tales' ... a pirate story with zombie-like creatures and a curse...

Internet pirates decided my story was so beautiful they had to share it for free. See my previous post about Pirates being Pirated for the full story.



So, I decided to grab one of my unpublished stories (Black Schooner) revise it, change its style, and set it in the same universe of Dead Men Tell No Tales. It became 'Black Brig'. I offered it for free, and it will always be available as such until I will buy the farm, or more like, will go for my last chase...

Two weeks later, a guy from China downloaded it at Smashwords and published it at Amazon.com - under my name - setting its price at 2.99 bucks. This dude is as dull as dishwater, because he just copied and pasted my description of the short story without paying attention to the lines. In fact, customers could clearly see the word 'FREE' in the blurb. After a long battle with Amazon I was successful in having it removed from sale. Black Brig was intended as a gift to my readers and it must stay that way...


Last week, I was contacted by a movie production crew for a small jig in a movie adaptation of an upcoming video game. Guess what, dear gals and guys? I play the part of goddamned pirate!

So, I must surrender to the will of the spirits. There's a pirate living inside me, rebelling against the system and longing for freedom. As a digital nomad, I'm already a freedom-loving traveler, exploring the vast seas of knowledge and the uncharted islands of the future.

What can I say?


AVAST, ME MATEYS! SET SAILS FOR THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY!

1 comment: